service

January 19, 2018

Acquiring Unbiased Beta Readers

Last year, I wrote a series of short stories. I wanted to self-publish them in order to build my newsletter mailing list, but I needed to find unbiased Beta readers who could give me “real” feedback. I didn’t want to ask my friends and family, for fear they would give me the standard pat on the back or false approval.   I wanted raw feedback. […]
December 14, 2017

Defeat Deadlines

Do you wish you could beat writing deadlines, the smart way? Well, now you can! If you have ever struggled to beat deadlines, or struggled to hold yourself accountable to deadlines that you set yourself, be relieved. Modern research has provided some powerful insight to human psyche. M.I.T. the Massachusetts Institute of Technology recently completed a study. In the study they tested whether or not […]
November 15, 2017

Are you an Author or an Artist?

Are you an author or an artist? These words author and artist are not as similar as they sound. Some gifted individuals can be both, but in actuality, most people are one or the other. In the writing world, these terms are often mutually exclusive of each other. They don’t have to be, but the majority of writer’s fall in one category or another. The […]
October 24, 2017

Weed Words Explained

Have you ever read through your manuscript only to realize the same words keep popping up like weeds in a garden? If your answer is yes, relax—we all do it. In the flurry of keystrokes, some words just appear. You didn’t want them. You don’t remember thinking them. But nevertheless, they sprout like common weeds. Your mind can often add unintentional words to your writing. […]
September 14, 2017

Two-Dimensional Character Artist

A master novelist paints his story with dynamic two-dimensional characters. The characters are woven into the story like puzzle pieces. Each is important to the final picture, but standing alone they bring no significant revelation to the final image. Two-dimensional characters are flat. They lack depth, are partially developed, and often are stereotypically inclined. But stories need two-dimensional characters. They bring the story to life, […]
August 14, 2017

“Touch” Writing: 5 Senses

Different body parts experience the sensation of touch in unique ways. Fingertips have heightened levels of sensitivity, but the tip of an elbow is desensitized. Depending on how you touch on object with certain body parts the feeling or experience will be different and should be described relative to the sensation. A few weeks ago I went camping in Northern Michigan. As I hung my […]
July 19, 2017

“Taste” Writing: 5 Senses

Now that we’ve taken a deeper look at two of the senses, sound and sight. Let’s take a more in depth look at one of the hardest senses to describe in some settings—taste. All great authors write using the five senses, and the best know how to incorporate just a touch of taste to highlight an emotion, experience, or mood, or to fill out a […]
June 15, 2017

“Smell” Writing: 5 Senses

I don’t know about you, but every time I smell cinnamon rolls in the oven, I am transported back to 1980’s. My thoughts drift to waking up on Sunday morning to the sweet smell of breakfast baking in the kitchen. My stomach growls. My mouth salivates, and I can almost hear my mother rustling the dishes. What a great memory from my childhood. Smell has […]
May 17, 2017

“Sight” Writing: 5 Senses

For the average writer, sight, is typically the easiest of the five senses to describe. Our world is filled with a menagerie of colors, people, plants, animals, buildings, and things. Each of those objects are finite and can be described visually, making sight easy to relate on paper. But describing the sense of sight doesn’t have to be bland. Take for instance, the picture below. […]
April 19, 2017

“Sound” Writing: 5 Senses

Great authors write using the five senses. They are masters of drawing their readers deeper into the world, scene, or setting of a story by embracing the intricacies and subtleties of the five senses. The senses of sight, sound, touch, taste, and feel are available to almost all writers. Utilizing proper description of each of the five sense in your manuscript will greatly improve your […]
June 11, 2012

True Servants Serve #1

As I talk to other pastors, I realize just how difficult it has become to get volunteers to serve in ministry.  Many churches burden the same volunteers with serving, time and time again, because the task of recruiting volunteers is so difficult. On average 20% of Christians serve the Lord faithfully.  That leaves 80% of Christians uninvolved in the work of ministry.  In a church […]